Author Topic: Royal Hunter, unknown to me  (Read 156 times)

Hansvdw

Royal Hunter, unknown to me
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:04:28 am »
Hi there,

A post from Holland. I recently bought a Royal Hunter bicycle, 'made in England'. The bike is completely original and - I presume - from the early twenties.

However, it seems impossible to find any information on the Royal Hunter brand. Is there anyway who can help me a little further.

I posted 4 images.

Best,
Hans

oldroads

• Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
  • Administrator
  • Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
    • Menotomy Vintage Bicycles at OldRoads.com
Re: Royal Hunter, unknown to me
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:23:56 am »
You will find info in our archives here about that bicycle.
Click on the "Menotomy Vintage Bicycles" banner above and you'll be on our main site, OldRoads.com.  Then use the google search box and enter the cycle's name.

Vinny - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Menotomy Vintage Bicycles at OldRoads.com

Hansvdw

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:07:32 am »
Thank you Vinny.

I Looked this over and Royal Hunter may be a Raleigh rebrand built in Holland. Is this correct?

However the bikes that are mentioned are from a much more recent period. I'm wondering if it's possible to date my bicycle more exact than my current estimation (early twenties).

I bought transfers that are identical to the ones on my bike. The image is herewith.

Thanks again For your attention.

Keith Body

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 03:00:52 pm »
I can't tell from the pictures, but the general appearance and one spoon brake looks like early 20s. I doubt if it was ever a "Make" as many bikes or frames were supplied for "own transfers". It does not look like raleigh.

To help with the date, is the plating nickel? If chrome then after 1931, which would be doubtful.
The frame may be British, the handlebar may not be, and the wheels are 36 x 36 spokes, very unusual for British at the time.

Keith

Hansvdw

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 01:27:02 am »
Thank you Keith, this is very helpful.

The plate is indeed nickel.

So I guess it's an early 20s bicycle, the frame built up in Holland (while restoring, I'll they to uncover details of several parts) and branded 'Royal Hunter', with 'made in England' as a marketing tool.

As for the frame: there is a frame number - 22783 - on the seat lug.

I'm curious to know if anyone recognizes the frame.

Thank you again,
Hans