Author Topic: Almost all old cruiser / balloon tire bikes are ladies models  (Read 599 times)

GBlalock

Almost all old cruiser / balloon tire bikes are ladies models
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:47:21 pm »
I think I have an understanding of how most surviving bikes would be ladies models......but what do you think the percentage is? I was about to say that at least 9 of every 10 ads I view are for ladies models....but after giving it more thought, it's way higher than that.....more like at least 39 of every 40. ....or even higher. Maybe I should do a survey / study and see what I find? I just wish people would state in their ad titles whether it's mens or ladies model.

oldroads

• Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
  • Administrator
  • Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
    • Menotomy Vintage Bicycles at OldRoads.com
Re: Almost all old cruiser / balloon tire bikes are ladies models
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 06:54:17 am »
True, there are a lot more ladies models than men's models. 
In general, the women took better care of their bikes.  They didn't crash them and experiment with them and cut the forks off them to build choppers.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Menotomy Vintage Bicycles at OldRoads.com

ken

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:06:59 pm »
Well, if all the B-6's and Phantoms ever made were still complete, they wouldn't be very collectible...
Conversely, if we could go back in time and take apart a bunch of girls' bikes and lose the pieces, like I did as a kid, it would make the remaining ones rarer and more valuable.
This brought a question to my mind- how many Oldroads regulars are women? Of course they may prefer not to say, but I've only been aware of one or two. Possibly the inclination in a youngster to tinker and hotrod develops into the inclination to collect and renovate, but if so, why doesn't it strike more girls? I'm all for equal opportunity. Is there anything we can do?

kim

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:03:23 pm »
I'm a woman.  I mostly follow English three speeds but I have a few balloon tire bikes.