Author Topic: Hawthorne Bike  (Read 903 times)

Cathleen

Hawthorne Bike
« on: January 20, 2014, 05:54:29 pm »
 Hello,

I am hoping you may be able to help identify the year this bike was built, and suggest a value for it.

I have been unable to find another exactly like it, though it has many features of several years it will also have many components that are not alike.  I was told by the original owners son that the bike was purchased in 1942.  I have found similar bikes from the late 30's to the 50's. 

It has several features that are unlike any photo online today.

It carries a (SE) with a full circle around the SE and A413827 and the numbers 36-13 on the rear hub and Perry B100 England attached to the rear of the chain guard at the rear hub.

The frame is a flat turquoise as well as the rack on the back. The fenders are double pin striped front to back with no other design. The fenders, chain guard and tank are all a metallic slightly darker and greener shade of turquoise. The chain guard has a simple white stripe without wording. Tank has a simple white arrow shape (rounded) that underlines the word HAWTHORNE.  The badge above the front forks is also unlike any that I have found in online photos, reading HATHORNE through the center above that it has lines like this \\\\\\\\\ then a shape like a M filled solid red and directly beneath is it's opposite shape in solid blue W and ////////. At the very bottom of the badge reads MONTGOMERY WARD . It has the original battery operated light on front that may  have been repainted solid white.  The sprocket has three sets of cutouts the smallest center circle being in the shape of round cornered triangles, the center and outer cutouts are round ended half inch slits with a slight curve.

The bike has all original parts and paint which is in great shape with some scrapes and dings.  It has the original seat that needs a new cover. 

I would most appreciate any knowledge that you may have about the bike.

I hope to hear from you soon!
Cathleen Monterroso
951-972-7771
181 E. 6th St.
La Center, WA 98629

oldroads

• Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
  • Administrator
  • Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
    • Menotomy Vintage Bicycles at OldRoads.com
Re: Hawthorne Bike
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:35:20 am »
Looks to be late 1950s.
Check our online price guide for value: http://oldroads.com/p_query_full.asp
Menotomy Vintage Bicycles at OldRoads.com

ken

Re: Hawthorne Bike
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:12:29 pm »
Cathleen that's a Murray-built bike, so it may be compared with bikes badged by other resellers such as Sears, Western Auto, etc. From the photo it appears to be a middleweight, i.e. tire size 26x1.75. These came into vogue in the early 50s. You won't find any in 1942. Late 50s is right. You'll find that chainwheel from about 57 through the mid 60s on bikes like the Flightliner and Spaceliner.