Author Topic: Some Advice on a Project  (Read 1080 times)

thecors

Some Advice on a Project
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:52:30 pm »
Hi all - I'm looking for some advice on how to continue with my project. I inherited two bikes from my grandfather, they are early to mid 70s steel lightweights, one is a Ron Cooper and one is a Condor. I'd like to refurbish both to a point where I can ride them again, using as many of the original components as possible.

So far, I've stripped the components, cleaned them and rebuilt the hubs. I'm unsure as to what to do next - I'd like to protect the frames while respect the original paint, lugs and detailing. Should I do a clear coat? Any advice would be much appreciated. I've attached some photos below.

Keith Body

Re: Some Advice on a Project
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 02:41:54 pm »
Hi thecors
My type of bikes, Early to mid 1970s as you say. Two high class road bikes. Not much help on paintwork, it might be possible to get the transfers/decals and gently remove the old ones. Not sure a clear coat would help, as it would need some preparation to the paintwork.
I guess you are UK based.
Can you PM me.

Keith

Matthew - as before

• Still here after all these miles
Re: Some Advice on a Project
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 06:46:24 am »
Hi,

Take Keith's advice, it is always worthwhile. To protect paintwork, don't use a clear varnish, you may regret it & if decals / stickers /transfers are irreplaceable. They will be toast after clear varnish, should you ever want to remove it. Do not powder coat (it looks ugly on bicycle frames) do not repaint, it will devalue you machines. DO used elbow grease and a very good quality car bodywork polish such as Simonise original hard wax or perhaps Mer ?

Matthew - 'wax on; wax off'
And through all, I had a ball.