Author Topic: Can you help me identify this early Schwinn Racing Bicycle  (Read 466 times)

wjmiles1973

Can you help me identify this early Schwinn Racing Bicycle
« on: September 02, 2014, 01:05:56 pm »
Recently I came across this Road Bike at a farm auction. I saw it in a pile of old bikes and con't believe it was their.   I have a really good collection of old road bikes, but I am having a hard time nailing down what this bike is.  It has a schwinn track racing style stem and handlebars.  Schwinn phone dial front hub, Balilla front brake and lever that I believe is original.  Someone added a newer style Wienman to the rear at a latter time. It has a rear flip flop.  Single speed and fix gear hub.  The crank has a bolt on chain ring.  The funny thing is that it has a Horizontal dropout not a track style drop out.  I found a serial number on the left rear drop out but can only real the first letter 1 and the last two I believe are 46.  On the bottom of the bottom bracket it is stamped 17c and has an AC Inside a diamond.  Sorry for the bad pics I will try to get better one up soon.  It has sew up racing tires on it. and rides really nice even thought the paint that is on it is really rough, looking.  First I thought it might be a late 40's early 50's Paramount because I read that you could get a horizontal dropout starting in 1946 I believe.  But then I saw a couple Drysdales and thought he used alot of Schwinn parts on his builds.  Maybe it could be a Superior or New World.  Any thoughts or ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry about the bad pics.